I am nearing the end of my my study abroad program in Paris. A lot of people told me that I overpacked since I brought two big suitcases and two carry ons, and I don’t think I did at all. Maybe in some instances yes, but overall no. However, there were a few things I didn’t need to bring and a few more things I should’ve brought.
Storage for my room
- Spaces across Europe are generally tinier then what we are used to in the US. I only found out my housing assignment two weeks before I left, so I knew what to expect, however if I had more time to plan, I would’ve bought better storage solutions. However, I had to make do with what I had. My room came with a closet, but obviously I overpacked and a lot of things didn’t fit in the closet. I picked up a storage cube holder at five below, and two storage bins. I’m able to put jeans and other pants, shirts and other clothes on there, and it doesn’t take up much room at all. I also used my packing cubes to fit some clothes in there as well and stack them up. Looking back, I definitely would’ve brought more storage.
- I’ve decorated my room a good amount, but I wish I had brought more. I brought a few photos from home, but maybe some more sentimental items as well. You will definitely be able to buy some decorations, but the more sentimental ones are important as well.
Multiple full size toiletries
- I’m a very specific person, I have certain brands that I live by, and I knew I couldn’t go without them while I was abroad. Obviously bring full size of anything that you think you can’t live without, but you don’t need multiples. For example, I thought I would need so much body wash that I brought four, but when I traveled, I found new body washes and soaps that I’ve actually enjoyed.
- I’d say I have an obsession with bags, but I definitely did not need to bring eight of them. It took up a lot of space in my suitcase when I was packing, and I bought more while I was here. I also ended up using the same handbag multiple days/nights in a row.
More than two suitcases
- Everyone always says to stick to two large suitcases and one carry on. I’ve also heard of people bringing a singular suitcase. Like I said before, I brought two big suitcases and two carry ons. I actually ended up having to buy an additional carry on at the airport because my suitcase was overweight. In that case, I do regret bringing so many clothes and other things. On the flip side, I bought so many clothes and other fun things while I was here that it was helpful to bring more suitcases, so I have more room to bring things home.