It is currently July 19, and I offically leave Paris in less than 2 weeks. I have been here since May with ISA and have had the most incredible experince exploring and the city and learning a new language. I wanted to compile a list of my favorite things/best recommendations, one student to another! Paris is a city made for those who love rich culture and a bustling atmosphere. It would take lifetimes to go through every nook and cranny but, here are some of the best places to experince as a student!
- Luxembourg Gardens: I had to put this one first as it is my all time favorite place in the city. Yep, even more than the Eiffel Tower or the food! This beautiful garden is located in the heart of the city and offers a beautiful place to eat lunch, read a book, or people watch.
- Musee D’Orsay: This is my personal favorite art museum in the city. The collection is large and includes an incredible range of styles and art forms. Bonus — It’s located in an old train station and the building itself is a beautiful piece of art.
- Samaritaine: This one is for my shoppers! Paris has some of the best shopping in the world, and if you want to get a taste for a little bit of everything this is the place to go! It just reopened in 2021 after lengthy renovations and is a stunning building. From designer pieces to increidble skincare it has it all! (Honorable mentions: Galeries Lafayette, Le Bon Marche, Champs Elysees.)
- Sainte-Chapelle: Arguably one of the most famous churches in the world, Sainte-Chapelle is designed to wow! It has stunning stained glasss windows and a rich history. It is one of the most beautiful places I have visited in Paris.
- La Defense: The modern business district of Paris, which is technically outside the city limits, is a cool place to spend an afternoon. The “slab” the district is built on is designed to encourage you to meet new people with it’s innovative seating and design. This is also going to be a hub for the 2024 Olympics as the area houses multiple arenas. This is also the location of Grande Arche.
- Food! Just going to list some of my favorite finds! La Parisienne (bread & sandwiches), Candelaria (BEST tacos & a secret speakeasy!), La Creperie du Clown, Chez Bartolo & ZAZZA (pizza), Soma Sando (Japanese sandwiches), La Grande Epicerie de Paris (imagine the best Whole Foods/food market crossover)
Of course all of the major monuements and museums are worth a see but, I wanted to include some places that might not be on your list that have really contributed to making my stay so fun! All major cities will have their “must sees” but I encourage you where ever you study abroad to do some research or let yourself have a little time to explore and find some incredible palces. Au Revoir!