When you travel to another country you realize how different, and sometimes really strange, other cultures are compared to your own. While I was abroad I saw and experienced things that I would only see in China. So here is a composed list of all the things I would never imagine to find in America.
Only in China….
1. …Americans were treated like celebrities.
Everywhere we went someone wanted to take a picture with the “Meiguoren” (Americans)! It was hilarious how excited they were just to simply meet us and try to have a conversation in English.
2. …you could find a Buddhist Temple at the end of a random road.
Honestly, I had no idea there was a temple at the end of this road. I only knew I wanted to go on a hike up a mountain! These temples were really commonplace throughout China and could be found almost anywhere.
3. …the bus this crowded is normal.
4. …you could find soy sauce ice-cream.
It actually tasted a lot like butterscotch!
5. …this six person compartment is considered first class on the overnight train.
Yes, this is considered first class. And what would be “economy” was just a room where people stood until they arrived to their destination.
6. …you had to wear a swim cap before entering a pool.
7. …you could find a cow walking around a neighborhood.
This was seriously the best meal on campus at Xiamen University.
Probably one of the strangest sensations I have ever experienced. If you are extremely ticklish, be warned! I could not stop laughing for a solid thirty minutes.
11. …you’d look out the front window and see cars driving in the opposite direction.
Crossing a one way street? You better look both ways, because in China road rules are basically nonexistent.
13. …. you could find a random tandem bike!
14. …you could relax at a 5 start hot spring resort that had pools infused with pineapple, coffee, lemon, etc.